Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Sicilian

Normally I don’t like reading chess books. They take too long to complete, and I dislike having to set up a board to play the countless variations in the book. So I much prefer chess videos, as they counter the above annoyances, and I feel I am more able to grasp and later recall the ideas discussed in a video than compared with a book. So earlier in the year I registered at this excellent site which provides a superb library of instructional chess streaming videos that will definitely improve your chess knowledge and skills. The site has probably improved my chess strength by 100 ELO points or more. Anyway, the reason I mention this is because it was while using the site that I became attracted to the Sicilian dragon. There are several lectures from IM Jesse Kraai and IM Mark Diesen who both recommend the dragon. In fact Mark Diesen even goes as far as to say that the dragon’s theoretical standing is as high as it has ever been, and it’s an opening strongly recommended for black. So I decided I would take up the dragon.

I have to confess that I had a very brief attempt at learning the Sicilian Najdorf and Sveshnikov before considering the Dragon. Both these opening are highly regarded by super GM’s, and probably are the best of the Sicilians. I gave up quickly on the Sveshnikov because I don’t feel comfortable playing with black’s central pawn structure, and the hole on d5. I did like the Najdorf, but my puny memory was simply overwhelmed by the theory. I realise that at my level learning so much theory isn’t necessary, but the Najdorf has so many traps that black can easily get killed if he isn’t careful and prepared.

I borrowed a recommended chessbase eBook by Dorian Rogozenko. Chessbase eBooks are much better than normal books since you don’t have to waste time setting up positions on a board, but I still much prefer videos; unfortunately I couldn’t find a decent looking dragon video. The book had 2 parts, the first dealt with anti-Yugoslav attack positions, and the second, which was much larger, dealt with just the Yugoslav attack. Before jumping into the famous “Yugoslav attack” position, I had a look at the anti-Yugoslav variations, after white opts for an open Sicilian. There are a LOT of variations, but nearly all offer black easy equality. I played nearly all the key variations against my computer and online blitz, and faired very well. I was beginning to like the dragon. I was even comfortable playing the Levenfish variation, which a lot of dragon players aren’t. I then, at last looked at the Yuogoslav attack. That’s when I went from loving the dragon to eventually giving it up…..

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's what I've decided to play, the Sicilian Dragon, although I'm curious as to what about the yugoslav attack you don't like...

What, specifically, do you think in chesslecture has improve your game? (it seems a tad pricey but obviously you like it and I'm just curious).

Gambitz said...

I'm going to explain what I don't like about it my next blog. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the blog entry.

Chesslecture is a great site, and there are so many good things about it, and so many ways the lectures have helped my game that I can't list them all. The key improvements to my game have been a greater understanding of positional ideas, especially in the middle game. I also learnt alot from the opening and endgame vids.
It's really not that expensive because you can choose to pay for just 1 month, watch all the vids you want to and then cancel. It's a bargain when you think about it that way.

Chessbuzz said...

In Chess Openings for Black Explained by Lev Alburt, they recommend playing the accelerated dragon. One of the reasons for the recommendation is that it avoids the Yugoslav attack lines.